Black Bean Butternut Squash Stew
Black bean with sweet butternut squash and collard greens make this healthy stew so hearty and comforting!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 vegan bouillon, (I used Edward & Son’s Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cubes)
- 1 cup tender collard greens/kale/spinach, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell peppers cook and cook until onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and spring onion and cook for 1 minute
- Add butternut squash, black beans, Italian Seasoning, thyme and stir to coat. Stir in coconut milk, vegetable broth. bouillon cube, allspice, cayenne pepper and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in leafy greeens and cook for about 4 minutes, delicious served with brown rice and avocado.