FARMHOUSE BUTTERMILK CAKE
Today's tried and true is a wonderful old fashioned buttermilk and brown sugar cake that is a cinch to make, a sweet treat for family and friends. FARMHOUSE BUTTERMILK CAKE - A fantastic old fashioned
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 to 1 cup diced pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" cake pan.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar together till smooth.
- Add the eggs, beating till smooth.
- Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and flour to the wet ingredients, beating till thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 35 minutes. Towards the end of the baking time, prepare the topping.
- Stir the butter and the sugar together. Add the milk, pecans, and salt. The glaze will be thick but pourable.
- Top the baked cake with the topping, and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven. The topping will look very runny. You can eat the cake hot, with the glaze still gooey; or let the cake sit at room temperature for a few hours, by which time the glaze will have set.