30 MINUTE POSOLE
Use your leftover pulled pork and a quick homemade enchilada sauce to make this super fast and easy, intensely flavored 30 Minute Posole.
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp mild chili powder
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
- 15 oz. can hominy
- 1.5 cups shredded pork, chicken, or beef (pre-cooked)
- 1 fresh lime
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- Finely dice the onion, then add it to a large soup pot along with the canola oil. Sauté the onion in the oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until it is tender and transparent. Add the flour and chili powder and continue to sauté for two minutes more. The mixture will be fairly dry, so stir continuously to prevent burning.
- Add 2 cups water, tomato paste, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt to the pot. Whisk the ingredients together until the tomato paste is dissolved. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer, at which point it will thicken.
- Finally, add the chicken broth, shredded meat, diced chiles, and hominy (drained). Stir to combine and then heat through (about 10 minutes).
- Cut the lime into wedges and roughly chop the cilantro. Top each bowl with chopped cilantro and a wedge of lime to squeeze over top.