Tender chicken and vegetables in a savory chicken broth
- 8 chicken thighs about 1 1/2 pounds, diced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 5 tablespoons flour divided
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 red pepper finely diced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 cup green beans or peas
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large pot or dutch oven, brown chicken in 1 tablespoon olive oil (it doesn't have to be cooked through). Remove from pot and set aside.
- Cook onion, carrot and celery in remaining olive oil for about 3 minutes or until onion is slightly softened. Stir in 3 tablespoons of flour, seasonings and salt & pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, red pepper, white wine, browned chicken and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in green beans and cream. Thicken if desired (below) and simmer an additional 10 minutes uncovered.
- To thicken: In a mason jar combine remaining 2 tablespoons flour and 1 cup water or broth. Shake very well (ensure there are no lumps) and add a little at a time to boiling stew to reach desired consistency.