Crockpot Mexican Quinoa Tacos
Delicious and meatless Mexican quinoa black bean tacos made easy in the slow cooker. Dump it and forget about it meal
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces EACH) black beans
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes in tomato juice
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn
- 3 tablespoons or 1 packet (1.25 ounces) taco seasoning
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Top with your favorites: queso fresco cheese, diced avocado, cilantro, fresh lime
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve to remove bitter saponin coating.
- In a large crockpot (I use a 6 quart crockpot), add in the quinoa, chicken stock (vegetable broth to keep vegetarian), drained and rinsed black beans, undrained diced tomatoes in tomato juice, enchilada sauce, drained corn, and packet taco seasoning (or homemade taco seasoning).
- Stir. Cover and cook on high 2.5 hours to 4 hours depending on the heat of your slow cooker.
- Important notes with cooking quinoa in slow cooker: slow cookers cook at different temperatures! You'll want to watch this carefully if you have a slow cooker that runs hot so the quinoa doesn't get mushy. This recipe doesn't work on low because quinoa will get mushy when cooked on low for long time periods.
- When quinoa is cooked through, serve on corn or flour tortillas and top with your desired toppings.
- Garnish with a squeeze of fresh lime, cilantro, a diced avocado, and lots of queso fresco cheese!