EGG ROLL SOUP
This Egg Roll Soup recipe brings together all of those irresistible egg roll flavors we love…in a soup!! It’s quick and easy to make, and easy to customize with pork, chicken
- 1 pound ground pork (or see other alternatives below!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small green cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 6-8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- optional toppings: toasted sesame seeds, thinly-sliced green onions, homemade fried egg roll wrappers (or store-bought wonton strips)
- Add ground pork to a large stockpot and cook over medium-heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring and flipping occasionally, until the pork is lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pork to a separate plate, and set aside.
- Add the olive oil and onion, and stir to combine. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots and garlic, and sauté for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cabbage, stock, ginger, and cooked pork, and stir to combine.
- Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the carrots and cabbage are nice and tender. Stir in the sesame oil until combined. Then taste and season the soup with a few generous pinches of salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve warm, garnished with your desired toppings. Or refrigerate in sealed containers for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months