Chocolate Cream Pie
Rich, creamy and silky, this Chocolate Cream Pie is a chocolate lovers dream! A creamy chocolate filling is topped with whipped cream in this easy, crowd pleasing pie.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 fully baked pie crust, cooled
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk. Add the chocolate chips and egg yolks. Turn the heat on to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and add in the cream cheese. Whisk until the cream cheese is melted and fully incorporated. Cover the surface of the mixture with a piece of plastic wrap. Refrigerate just until cooled, about 1 hour.
- Once the filling is cooled, place 1 1/4 cups of the cream in a large bowl with 1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract. Beat until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate filling. Pour the filling into the cooled pie crust, cover and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve the pie, combine the remaining 3/4 cup cream and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract in a large bowl. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the pie. If desired, sprinkle the top of the pie with cocoa powder, add shaved chocolate, or just leave it as is!