MAGIC GARLIC TOFU
An unbelievably delicious tofu stir-fry, made with my easy baked tofu recipe and tossed with the most heavenly garlic black pepper sauce.
- 1 batch baked tofu
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon freshly-ground coarse* black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 tablespoons butter (or vegan butter or oil)
- 1 small red onion, finely minced (about 2/3 cup)
- 1–2 fresh jalapeños (or 2 Thai bird chiles), cored and finely minced
- 10 garlic cloves, finely minced
- toppings: thinly-sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds
- Prepare your baked tofu according to recipe instructions.
- Meanwhile, as your baked tofu (above) is draining and later baking, prep all of your ingredients for the black pepper sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together water, soy sauce, maple syrup, black pepper, cornstarch and ground ginger until combined. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the butter (or oil) over medium-high heat until melted. Add the red onion and jalapeño, and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly pour in the soy sauce mixture, and stir until combined. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer and then thickens.
- Remove pan from heat. Add in the baked tofu, and toss until it is evenly coated in the sauce.
- Serve warm, garnished with lots of toppings as desired.