STICKY TERIYAKI TOFU AND CAULIFLOWER WITH SOOM SILAN
Tofu and cauliflower are battered and either baked or fried until crispy before being smothered with a sticky teriyaki sauce made with Soom Silan (date syrup). Served with some sushi rice it is a most delicious and addictive meal!
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Soom Silan Date Syrup
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp water, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
TOFU AND CAULIFLOWER
- 1/2 head cauliflower cut into medium sized florets
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into large cubes
- 1 cup rice flour, plus extra as needed
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup water
- Scallions, green parts sliced for garnish
- Sushi rice, to serve
Make the silan teriyaki sauce:
- Whisk together the soy sauce, Soom Silan, mirin, 1/4 cup of water, minced garlic, and onion powder. Add the mixture to a small pot and turn on med-low heat to bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water to make a slurry then add it to the sauce in the pot. Whisk to combine and let simmer for 1-2 minutes to thicken until it clings to a spoon. Turn off the heat and set aside until ready to use. Can be made in advance and stored in the fridge.
- Make the tofu and cauliflower:
- In a large bowl mix together the rice flour, sesame seeds, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, white pepper, sesame oil, and water to make a thick batter. Pour half of the mixture into a second bowl. Add the cauliflower florets to one bowl and the tofu to a second bowl and gently toss to coat with the batter. If needed sprinkle on extra rice flour to thicken the batter.
- To deep fry: Heat a couple of inches of oil in a pan to 375 ºF, or until the oil bubbles around a piece of batter when dropped in. Fry the cauliflower and tofu in batches for about 5 minutes each batch until they turn a light golden brown and drain them on a paper towel lined plate.
- To bake: Pre-heat the oven to 425 ºF and arrange the cauliflower and tofu in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Divide across two baking sheets if necessary. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake an additional 10 minutes or until the coating is crispy and golden brown in spots.
- Heat a skillet or wok over medium high heat. When hot, add the cauliflower and tofu and the teriyaki sauce. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to coat everything in sauce. Once the sauce is thick and mostly absorbed into the cauliflower and tofu turn off the heat, add the scallion greens and serve over rice.