Tofu with Peanut Sauce
Creamy tofu cubes served with a sweet and spicy peanut sauce. Serve with rice and broccoli for a quick vegan weeknight dinner.
- 1 block extra firm tofu (14-15 oz, drained)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Rice for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cube tofu and place in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes. If you aren’t using a nonstick baking sheet, cover with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- While the tofu is baking, prepare the sauce by mixing together the sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds, stir, then microwave for 30 seconds more. By this point, it should be pretty easy to stir together with a fork. Add in the sambal oelek and mix until well combined.
- When the tofu is done, remove from oven. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil, tofu, and half of the peanut sauce. Cook until the tofu is crispy and golden brown.
- Serve the tofu over rice and drizzle the remaining peanut sauce on top.