VEGAN SHEPHERD’S PIE
A healthy and meatless shepherd's pie recipe packed with flavor.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown or green lentils (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups mushroom stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans and corn)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease an 8×8-inch baking dish – or other comparable sized baking dish.
- Peel and cut the potatoes and transfer them to a large pot filled with water. Bring the water to a boil – and boil the potatoes for 10-12 minutes, or until tender. Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the cooked potatoes until they are smooth and add vegan butter and extra virgin olive oil. Mix well – and season to taste with a little salt and pepper. Cover with a kitchen towel and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onions and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add mushrooms and saute for 3-5 minutes, until the water released by the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add mushroom stock while stirring. Then add lentils and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and stir.
- Bring to a boil. Then lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add frozen veggies, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Place the baking dish on a baking sheet (this is to catch any overflow of gravy once it goes in the oven).
- Pour the lentil mixture into the baking dish and carefully top with mashed potatoes, one large spoonful at a time. Spread the mashed potatoes using a fork or spatula – and smooth it until you get an even layer.
- This step is optional: run the tines of a fork over the mashed potatoes to create elevated lines (my mother used to do this – and I think it makes the finished pie look prettier).
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes (with the baking dish underneath).
- Then turn oven to broil and broil for 5 minutes to get a crispy, golden brown top (optional).
- Top with chopped flat leaf parsley and serve.