Vegan Chick-Fil-A Deluxe Sandwiches
Were you guys ever fans of Chick-Fil-A? In my thirty years on this planet, I can say I’ve never had the well-known and widely popular Chicken Sandwich, or anything on their menu for that matt…
- 1 cup + 1 TBS vital wheat gluten, divided
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- 4 cups + ¾ cup vegetable broth, divided
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2-3/4 cups dill pickle juice, divided
- 1 TBS + ½ tso cayenne pepper, divided
- 6 chicken seitan patties, recipe above
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup organic confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 TBS + ½ tsp paprika, divided
- 2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Peanut oil for frying
- 6 white burger buns
- 6 slices vegan cheese (we used Follow Your Heart provolone)
- Dill pickle medallions
- Hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup wheat gluten, sea salt, nutritional yeast, onion powder and poultry seasoning; whisk to combine.
- In another large bowl, combine ¾ cup vegetable broth and tahini; whisk until smooth. Using a spatula, carefully fold wheat gluten mixture into vegetable broth mixture until combined. (You might need to use your hands for this.)
- Sprinkle work surface with 1 TBS vital wheat gluten. Knead the dough until it's elastic but not dry. Add additional wheat gluten if dough feels too sticky and knead some more.
- Divide dough into 6 small burgers. (Keep in mind they will grow to be about twice their size, so make smaller than you would normally.)
- Place burgers in a dutch oven and cover completely with remaining 4 cups vegetable broth. Cover and cook in preheated oven for 1 hour, flipping seitan after 45 minutes.
- Remove burgers from broth and let cool for about 45 minutes on a wire rack.
- In a shallow bowl, combine 2½ cups pickle juice and ½ tsp cayenne pepper. Add burgers, making sure they are submerged in the marinade, and marinate for 1 hour.
- In a deep fryer or heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat peanut oil to 325 degrees fahrenheit. If you are frying on the stove, you will need about 4-6 inches of oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ¼ cup pickle juice and almond milk. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, powdered sugar, remaining 1 TBS cayenne, paprika, peppercorns, chili powder, sea salt, baking powder and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Coat each burger in the flour mixture, then toss it into the milk mixture, Coating evenly on all sides. Coat generously in flour mixture again.
- In batches, place burgers in hot oil. Fry for about 5-8 minutes, flipping occasionally, or until the outside is crisp and golden brown. Using tongs, remove burgers from oil and place on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Heat a large, dry skillet over low heat. Toast buns, cut side down, for about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove buns from the pan. Place vegan cheese on bottom half of each bun and top with fried chicken and 4 pickle slices. Serve immediately with your favorite hot sauce, if desired.